Here's another build that took place over weeks.
I actually bought the wood this summer, but I'm blaming the pregnancy that it took so long to actually get done.
I just made the head and foot board, and attached them to a metal bed frame we already were using, so this project could really take you an afternoon, not half a year.
I finally forced myself to build and finish the bed because we need it for when the baby comes.
We are moving this summer, so we'll only be in our current home 6 months or less with three kids, and rather than move the sewing room/ office for the baby, I decided to shove all three kids in one room and two beds.
We'll see if it works, but right now my plan is:
Rhett (RJ 4 years old) and Ellaria (2) will share this twin bed and just sleep on each end with their feet toward each other (like the grandparent's in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).
So I needed a footboard so Ellie wouldn't fall off the end in the night.
Then the baby can have the crib.
Which also means I need to build a ladder/ fence so Ellie won't fall out of the bed to the side.
I hope it all works out, it would only have to last less than six months.
But if these sleeping arrangements flop, at least Rhett will have a nicer looking room with a bed rather than just a mattress!
The plans come from ana-white.com for the Kentwood Bed.
It's a knock off plan from Pottery Barn's Camp Bed.
Here's Ana's version and a more detailed post about making the bed from Brook.
I wanted a lighter wood stain for this piece. Most of the furniture I've built has been painted or stained a dark red mahogony. So I wanted to do something different, but I don't like warm, golden wood tones like honey oak, so for this bed I used:
4 parts Cherry stain with
1 part Red Mahogany stain,
both Minwax brands.
I found my polyurethane had dried up, so I used a rub-on polyurethane I had that sealed the wood but remained more of a matte natural look rather than the glossy plastic finish.
I think I'd like to re-decorate Rhett's room once we move.
Right now he has the airplane quilt mixed with animal stuff I made when he was a baby.
The plan actually called for a bed wider than our metal frame, so I had to adjust it for a more narrow design.
I also made the foot board taller, as mine will have to function as a backwards headboard.
One tip that was helpful was taking time to sand all the wood individually before constructing the bed.
It's much easier to sand cheap pine boards individually rather than a big finished piece of furniture.
You attach the main board to the 2x4 legs with Kreg Jig pocket holes, and rather than fill all the holes, I just attached thin lathe strips from our junk pile which stained really dark, but at least it looks better than holes on the back where Ellie's head will sleep as a backwards headboard soon.
Getting closer to checking all my pre-baby projects off and feel so liberated knowing this one is done!