More baby projects, sorry if this is the last thing you're interested in. I only have about 4 weeks left in my pregnancy, and went through the baby things and decided this little girl will be wearing some boy gear for a while. My husband questioned my decision, but I thought it doesn't matter if she's wearing puppy body suits to puke on, and I'll put a bow in her hair. I just didn't see the point in investing in all new girl newborn clothes when we pretty much just stay at home the first few months. Crappy mom?
But I did make her some new pajamas. With my son, I just used the snap body suits, and this time around I wanted the sacks to make diaper changing easier in the middle of the night.
Snaps are just annoying in the semi-dark when you're half awake.
My first two attempts I didn't really like.
I had a pattern from 1984 I bought at the thrift store for the baseball tee neckline. It was alright, but the neck seemed really huge.
I tried making my own pattern with the onesie neckline. I don't know how many times I try, I never get a snug neck, it's always super wide and huge.
Both are made with old shirts, the purple was an acetate sweater that is really soft.
So I searched around and saw some at the store with cuffs on the wrists to become a mitten. I liked that idea.
Then I decided rather than trying the onesie neck (since I stink at it), to create a criss-cross top to allow the head through, but stay snug around the neck. That idea opened the opportunity to use a mix of stretchy knit for the neck, and flannel for the sack and sleeves.
I bought this "snug flannel" owl print from JoAnns for $2.50 a yard. 1.5 yards made 4 sacks.
All the solid knits were uncycled old t-shirts, so each pajama sack cost me around $1.00.
I think my favorite feature is the little mitten cuff.
The back of the sleeve has the cuff sewn into each side seam (sleeves have to be 2 pieces for the cuffs, rather than 1 like ususal). So to use the cuff, you just fold it forward around the hole for the hand, and it becomes a mitten.