My husband graduated last week, and it was a big deal for our little family.
I wanted a new dress for the occasion, and indulged myself.
The pinstripe skirt was only $2.00/yard, and it only took 1 yard. The zipper was $1.25, and the satin bodice is actually up-cycled drapes from my aunt and was free.
I used Lynette's Mrs. Smith pattern. This dress looks vintage to me, and I thought the high waisted skirt was flattering on Lynette's people, and so I thought it might help give an illusion of a waist for my ruler figure.
I did want to change the neckline so it wasn't a direct copy of Lynette. I thought of a scalloped neckline, inspired by this version here on this frock from Grosgrain, but I wanted them to gradually get smaller, and stand up on the back of my neck if possible.
I described it to Lynette, and when she saw it finished, she said it wasn't what she expected, and to be honest, the finished product wasn't exactly how I envisioned it either.
I measured each scallop the width equal to the height, which made them taller and thinner than what I originally sketched. The way the 2 rows layer on top of one another, standing up slightly reminds me of an artichoke, so I named this the "artichoke dress". If I had some great photography skills, maybe I should have photographed it holding an actual artichoke.
I ended up liking the unique neckline, despite it not being what I had envisioned. I finished the dress the morning of and had my iron turned up too high and scorched the top. I always make stupid mistakes when I'm in a hurry. I wore it anyway, and hopefully no one noticed.