Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Halloween Costume

Visit thecsiproject.com

For Halloween for Rhett, I didn't want to spend any money, so I thought I'd make him a Gus Gus costume out of scraps I had. Here is a picture of Gus Gus from Cinderella:

I couldn't find any two-way stretch fabric for a little yellow crop top so I had a yellow polo that I never wear so I decided to chop that up for the costume shirt.

The hat was easy, I had one seam going down the center and I attached an elastic under his chin to have something the ears could be sewn to. The ear I sewed onto scraps of batting and then put the tan fabric around it. I thought I would have to line the edges with wire, but the batting made them stiff enough I just had the fabric and called it good.


I also made little brown shoes/ socks with the big toe that I stuffed with a cotton ball.

All this plus a chubby baby made an inexpensive, simple costume. We think he's pretty cute but we are bias.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Rocking Chair


When we were in Delta for a month, our nephew had his 16th birthday party, and I don't know why but I was in my sister-in-law's basement rummaging through their stuff and saw this kids' rocking chair. I picked it up and said: "this is awesome". My niece told me, "go ahead and take that piece of junk." My sister-in-law said to take it, they wouldn't need it anymore and I was pumped. All spring I'd search the junk piles on the curbs in Missouri hoping someone would have thrown one out I could get cheap/free. I'd always planned to paint it, but this little gem landed in my lap and I couldn't decide. I knew I wanted to recover the seat cushion, with the giraffe fabric I so love.
I reinforced some of the joints and decided not to replace the broken back support in the name of character.
Also, in the end, I decided sanding it and repainting the wood would destroy all the history developed over the years by our family so I wiped it down with lemon oil and it turned out the wood matches the giraffe fabric really well in my opinion.


Because the fabric isn't that durable alone, I machine quilted a piece of batting to the underside of the top of the cushion. Hopefully this will reinforce it for all the little bums that will hopefully sit and use it. To attach the quilted fabric to the old cushion, I'd originally planned on using the staple gun, but got lazy and decided the glue gun was easier and faster so hopefully it will hold up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails