I have been planning to make nursery items out of junk for months. Here are a few of the initial finished projects.
First of all...a dresser.
My parents had this old definitely used dresser no one was using. So I luckily found at Home Depot, a can of "oops paint". Oops paint is usually near the paint mixing counter and they are $5/gallon, $1/qt of different kinds and colors. I have a problem with buying paint, so every time I find myself in Home Depot I check out the oops paint. This brick red paint is for decks & floors, so perfect for a dresser to be resistant to scuffs. I took off the hardware and did lightly sand the dresser before painting it.
Next, little name blocks. As a baby gift, someone have us these blocks with our baby's initials. I painted them from natural wood to match the rest of the baby blocks I've made.
I spray painted it white to get a clean canvas and then painted a simple scene with giraffes. The nursery theme is animals I guess, and my mom made a quilt and in it there was this reddish giraffe print that I LOVE. So it became the inspiration for a lot of projects.
It was a challenge to paint on such a spherical shape because I was worried if I made the giraffes too tall, or too high, all their heads would converge at the top and at the bottom.
For the lampshade, I found a square, small one for $7 at Target. Using the fabric that I guess has become the theme of the room, I cut strips and hot glued them 1" thick on the top and bottom of the lamp shade.
Above the dresser is the painting from the book, My Father's Dragon I did a while ago