I spray painted it white to get a clean canvas and then painted a simple scene with giraffes. The nursery theme is animals I guess, and my mom made a quilt and in it there was this reddish giraffe print that I LOVE. So it became the inspiration for a lot of projects.
It was a challenge to paint on such a spherical shape because I was worried if I made the giraffes too tall, or too high, all their heads would converge at the top and at the bottom.
After painting it, I was sealing it with an aerosol matte finish, and on the front of the lamp, it bubbled up and pulled the paint away. SO FRUSTRATING! I and used a straight razor to cut out the bubbled paint and re-painted the area. When I sealed it for the last time, I was more careful about the thickness of the spray.
For the lampshade, I found a square, small one for $7 at Target. Using the fabric that I guess has become the theme of the room, I cut strips and hot glued them 1" thick on the top and bottom of the lamp shade.
Above the dresser is the painting from the book, My Father's Dragon I did a while ago